Assessment Folders

I have a confession to make.  I am the world's WORST about documentation and observation data.  I am one of "those people" who has convinced herself that she can just "remember it all." But, alas, that just isn't feasible.  So in my reflection this summer, I decided that this was something I wanted to correct.  I began looking at solutions that would make it create ease, increase accessibility, and encourage me to keep it up all year!  I finally found these neat assessment boards on Really Good Stuff.com. Check them out here! The main issue however, was PRICE!  While they aren't completely outrageous, I hated to spend that much on something that I may or may not keep up with.  Also, I would have to buy 4 of them since I have 4 different rotations.  So I began thinking how I could replicate such a thing.  I decided that finding clipboards long enough to hold all the cards needed would be impossible, so I found the next best thing.  File folders! They don't have to be cute, but that never hurts.  Make sure to laminate for durability.
You will also need scissors, 3 x 5 index cards, and a roll of tape. I prefer washi tape (available with scrapbooking supplies) because it is easily removable and pretty, of course!

Next, you will start from the bottom. Lay one index card upside down so that the large line is on bottom. Use a thin strip of tape to fix the card to the folder.

Lay your next card on top so that all you can see is the large line.  Tape again. Continue adding cards in this manner until you are 1/4 " from the top of the folder.  You can adjust the space between cards to accommodate more or less cards.

When you get towards the top, take on final index card and turn in over so that you have a clean side as a cover.  Tape the top of this final card.  You can then label as you wish. This card serves as cover to ensure privacy of the cards underneath.
You can then label individual students names on the cards.  When one is full, simply pull it off. Replace with a new card.  If you used washi tape, you can even reuse your tape! File the full card however you wish. When it is time for a parent conference, simply pull all the cards you have for an individual student! Voila!  It's simple, portable, and reusable! I will be trying to use the folders this coming school year! I hope you try it! If you have any suggestions of how to improve this, please leave me a comment!


Comments

  1. I love this idea. I think I am going to use it too. I might be harrassing you for help once I try to get it going. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, one quick question. What information will you put on the cards? Assessment Data? RTI data?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plan on mainly using it for RTI data and observations. Even if it is a small note of something I notice during whole group, it will remind of who might need small group help. I'm so glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts