Welcome back

If you wondered if I fell off the planet, you're almost right. Almost. I didn't join NASA and launch into space, but I did have my world rocked. It wasn't until this weekend when I was invited to participate in a new project, that I came to the realization that my earthquakes had been shaking me for a while. And I need to be shaken. Hard.
I was a great point in my career. I was in the grade level where I was successful and I was passionate about it - to a fault. I believed that I had to carry everyone to success. If only I could do it all, we would see improvement. If only I planned the lessons...modeled for whomever would watch...created the activities...
And that is where I missed my "If only..." opportunity to stretch myself and others. As many say, you can learn this the hard way or the easy way. I was so busy with my work, that I missed the bus to the blessing of professional growth that comes from soaking in others work. I was getting to ready to learn a large volume that I "thought" I knew. As time passed, I noticed that things I "knew" weren't absolute. Nothing is. As I garnered new knowledge, I grew, stretched, and morphed. Morphed. (As a side note, isn't amazing how the awkwardness of this word reflects the awkwardness of this stage?"
The small rumblings in my career began to intensify until one day, they rocked the Richter scale. I fell - hard. I lay on the rocks for a while, nursing my skinned knees an saying "If only..." Once more, God swooped in and said, "I'm not through with you yet!" He lifted me up, righted me on my feet, and told me to walk. One step forward, then another. Each step renewed my passion. My desire. My love of learning and teaching.  I've been rooted in a place where I feel vulnerable - and it is glorious! There is power in being so, and yet remaining courageous enough to stand tall and stretch your petals towards the warming sun.
The weekend, I stepped forth and allowed the nurturing waters of collegial discussion to quench me.  Being allowed to immerse my inner nerd, I found peace. I felt the professional as opposed to simply being in a profession.  I found a desire to share my passion with the world again. The fear of my fall, while it will always niggle at the corner of my thoughts, won't paralyze my movement towards my goals. In short, stay tuned. Great things are coming.
So if you find yourself in any of these places: worn, stagnant, and wilting, or trembling, fearing and falling; let it be. As the mythical phoenix rises, so shall you.

Let this sink in:
Sometimes we may ask God for success, and He gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience, or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace. He may bestow upon us conviction and confidence as we strive to achieve worthy goals.

David A. Bednar

Comments

Popular Posts