Fall is here!

Fall is here!

By the end of the day, the seats of my car are blistering hot. I had hoped to slip in and let the weight of the day off my now scorched shoulders. I groan thinking that it may go on like this forever. But each morning I awake, the air has a different feel. A slight crisp- an edge. I only notice it when I focus my attention. Change is coming, even if my mind forgets it inevitability. Teaching reading is a unique parallel. We come into the school year with great gusto and passionate plans. Often by the end of a few weeks, we begin to feel defeated. Our attention is taken with those who are struggling to reach grade level, those whose minds wander towards daily necessities, those we just can't seem to figure out. But if we shift our perspectives, ever so slightly, we notice the whispers of understanding dance across their faces. Its in an answer deepening in complexity, a new word tackled, a new connection made. As we go deeper into the school year, I encourage you to take a deep breath and revel in the growth your students are making-even if it appears slight. You did that! You are making that change - like the power of a shifting season, you are the catalyst

Comments

Popular Posts