Fun 5 Fridays - Have you been framed?

It's the last Friday of Spring Break for me and I have a bad case of the I-don't-wannas. Nevertheless, reality is knocking on my door and it is time to get ready to hit it hard before our first round of testing begins. While I had planned to get some sun, the rain had other plans.  I did do some thinking about FSGPT though! Did you? I've decided to do a FSGPT part 2, but I will hold off on those plans until later.  Today's topic has been one that has been greatly debated among my peers - Framing the lesson.
Basically, today we will be looking at what the components of framing the lesson are.  My hope is that you will be able to create your own frames after this quick breakdown!
So let's start with a general overview of what makes the frame.  The frame essentially is a way to give students a road map to instruction.  It clearly identifies the skill of the lesson and the expected outcome.  Why is that important? Well, let me give you a personal example. When I was young, we had to learn our multiplication tables like everyone else. (Did I mention I LOATHE math?) No one really ever told me why; we just did! We were drilled on them by the famous "Mad Minute" quizzes.  So I figured the only reason I needed multiplication was to pass a Mad Minute! You've got to appreciate 8 year old logic.  I did fine with them and succeeded on these quizzes.  Later in life was another story. Because I never understood why these were important, I never put the information in long term memory.  When I didn't have to use them for a quiz, they started to fade away. As math grew harder, I began to struggle more and more.  I never really failed at math, but I surely did not excel. Strangely, much of it came back to those pesky old math facts. I just couldn't remember them all. If I had known how important those were going to be, I might have worked a little bit harder.  As an adult, I had to teach in a third grade self-contained classroom, and of course, here came math facts again.  Fortunately, this was my saving grace.  I worked just as hard as my students and learned them for good!I also wanted to make sure that my students knew why these were important to their lives.  Fast forward to today - 8 years after truly learning my times tables. We now have a way to make sure our students know the why behind their learning. Lesson Frames!
Frames using the Fun 5 Plans App

According to The Fundamental Five each lesson should have an opening (top) frame and a closing (bottom frame).  The top frame guides the learning with a "We will.." statement.  This is your learning objective.  What are you supposed to get out of today's lesson?  It is my understanding that this should be in student-friendly language.  I know some districts require  you to use the exact wording of your states learning standards.  I personally feel that however you are required to do it or however you choose to do it, will be okay.  I know that when teaching 4th grade I have to reword our TEKS into student friendly language. When doing high school, I often left them in the academic language of the TEKS to ensure rigor.
The closing frame has been a challenge for me.  This is the "I will" statement.  What should the student be able to do at the end of this lesson? In a tweet I asked Sean Cain to clarify the bottom frame for me. He explained it as, "The close is the proof of learning (from doing the lesson) that demonstrates thru talking, writing, or occasionally showing. "  It needs to be a task.  My struggle is often due to being in the writing classroom.  After a mini-lesson and writing time, it is sometimes difficult to make sure I add in the bottom frame. I am learning!
One great use of the frames came from an inspiring teacher in our district, Mrs. Loucks. She not only uses the frame to guide the current day's lesson, but she also leaves the previous day's frame posted so that she can tie the two together.  That is some powerful stuff! Not only can students see what learning is necessary for today, they can also see how all of their learning connects to make a bigger picture! I plan on trying this on Monday! I will let you know how it goes.
Mrs Louck's Current Day's Frame

Mrs. Louck's Previous Day's Frane


Remember how I told you that I had found an iPad app for the Fundamental Five? It requires you to have a "We Will" and an "I Will".  It also allows you to check the rigor of the these frames.  I am going to try to use this tool this week! When I get my plans in place, I will be sure to upload some of those frames. (I tried one as seen above) I will also keep my eyes out for other great frames to show you.

 I hope that this quick overview of frames will get you thinking about how you can frame your own lessons. So this Sunday - when you get the Sunday blues - and you begin your lesson planning, be sure to frame it! Make you sure your students never have to wonder why you are doing something!  If you have a great way to frame a lesson or just a great lesson frame, would you mind sharing with us? Sharing is caring!

Until next time,

Amy K.

(All typos are mine and generally caused by a very adorable, but precocious toddler who wanted all of Mommy's blogging attention!)

Comments

  1. Again, this was very helpful. I'm going to try the App. Than you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts