Who loves the Fundamental Five? This girl!

We all know that it seems that every year school districts pick another program to "jump on the bandwagon". Some times they are great;other times they aren't so great.  This year our school district decided to implement The Fundamental Five a book by Sean Cain and Mike Laird- And it's GREAT!  Check it out here: The Fundamental Five.

I was hesitant at first, but once I read the book -I was hooked.  The authors pinpoint 5 practices that increase the rigor and functionality of any classroom. These include:
*Framing the lesson
*Frequent Small Group Purposeful Talk
*Write Critically
*Recognize and Reinforce
*Power Zone
 The best part about it? - All 5 of these pieces are things we, as educators, already do! It only requires you to be more purposeful about them and tweak your practices. I have been working on implementation since the beginning of the school year, and I am seeing success! My students have taken more control over their learning and my scores have increased rapidly.  Since The Fun 5 have become my new BFFs, I thought I would share some of the best ideas I have seen from my district implementing these.  Tune in for my new series "Fun 5 Fridays". First up this week - Frequent Small Group Purposeful Talk. It's not just shoulder partners anymore!

Comments

Popular Posts